According to Jacobs there are nine success criteria to accelerate process improvement:
1. Executive Management Commitment - we have to convince executive management, because they provide resources.
2. Mid-level management commitment - Mid-level management will ensure that things get done and they will ensure that they get done in a certain way. - So when executive management give us resources, mid-level management ensure that our work will be done.
3. Organization Adaptability -> Flexible - organization have to be open for change and adopt for this changes, without that nothing happens and company stop working
4. Project Management Style -> Proactive - we can't do the right process improvement when whole project isn't proactive. One of the most important part is planning. Done properly planning can eliminate replanning,, improve quality of the product , decrease waste and costs. Planning can't be done once, but it should be an iterative process open to changes.
5. Training Style -> Proactive - trainings should be aligned to people who needs those with field that are their interest. Useless training is waste. Moreover Training ensures that all staff members know how to accomplish their assigned
activities the way the organization wants them accomplished. By proactively training staff there will be little room for misunderstandings and misinterpretations.
6. Communication style -> Open and Non-Inhibitive - organization should provide a communication plan for whole organization and particular project. Communication should be clear and simple and provide information that are needed for particular stakeholder to do his job. In other words everyone involved should get needed information about project to do their job and have overall view on the project. Managers should asap inform about bad news to react proactively. Kill the messenger mentality is not a good idea.
7. Delegation of authority - Managers at all levels should
be empowered to make decisions for their teams to rapidly and effectively resolve any issues as they arise
8. Process Improvement Model Familiarity** - familiarity with process improvement model ensure that people get involved into improvement process. Lesson learned from previous mistakes provide avoid those types of problems in feature. Moreover with those information we can faster identify potential risk and obstacles.
9. Process Acceptance Factor -> Positive - There have to be process acceptance factor to getting the process used. The key element in that case is KISS principle (Keep It Simple Stupid).
There is very important to define Key Success Criteria before starting Process Improvement. In different organizations different criteria will be important or have to be implemented.
 Deb Jacobs. 2005. Accelerating Process Improvement Using Agile Techniques (1st ed.). Auerbach Publications, Boston, MA, USA.
Subscribe to The CodeCat Blog
Get the latest posts delivered right to your inbox